I wove this whole big thing!
I wanted to make a wedding gift, the idea was a snuggle blanket for two. I measured one of my voluminous Indian shawls (which, being the ideal size for a piece of cloth, has long been my weaving goal,) and wound a warp that stretched across most of my deck. Yikes, it was huge. A good couple of yards longer than necessary, actually. We won’t go into details of the pre-weaving fracas - just use your imagination.
The warp is commercial yarn, dyed by Scarlet Tang of Huckleberry Knits, and the weft is a smorgasbord of handspun stash, including some that I did not spin. I remembered my bouclé samples and other interesting bits, and just threw it all in there. The reed is a made-by-me wonky thing, bamboo skewers lashes together and bound imperfectly. It gave me a nice, irregular dent of roughly 6 epi. Some of my more regular handspun two-ply was making a weft-faced cloth, so I needed to break that up with thicker yarns. The variation was forced at first, but became part of the character of the cloth eventually.
I needed to weave 8 inches a day to get this done in time for the wedding, and that was not hard, since I was weaving about 8” in an hour. But it was a very focused task, compared to my usual meandering, and as a result, my largest weaving so far was also my quickest to make!
Finishing this piece successfully felt like a transition to a new place of ability. I’ve been aiming to weave large with the backstrap for a while now, and this proved to me that I can do it. And the feel of that big shawl - roomy, textured, rich and warm, made me ready to warp for another.